2020 Pitch Competition Participation Rules
1. Eligibility: The ESD Global Pitch Competition (the “Competition”) is open to legal residents of the United States, and other countries where the Competition is valid, who are at least eighteen (18) years of age. Employees, contractors and board members of ESD Global, Inc. (“ESD Global”), as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of each such employee, contractor and board member, are not eligible to enter. If the Competition is prohibited by any local laws, you are prohibited from participating in the Competition, and ESD Global, in its sole discretion, may take steps to limit or ban your participation.
2. Agreement to Rules: By entering the Competition, you indicate your full and unconditional agreement to, and acceptance of, (a) these Rules and (b) ESD Global's decisions regarding the Competition, which are final and binding. Violation of these rules will disqualify any Entrant.
3. Entry Period:
Round 1: Begins 9/30/2020 and ends on October 25, 2020 at 0h00 EST (the “Round 1 Entry Period”).
Round 2: Begins on October 24, 2020 at 09H00 EST and ends on November 1, 2020 at 0H00 EST (the “Round 2 Entry Period”),
Registrations and videos submitted before or after any Entry Period will not be eligible. ESD Global's computer is the official time-keeping device for the Competition.
Round 1 Entry Period:
How to Enter: The Competition will have 2 levels of participation as set forth below. During the Round 1 Entry Period, Eligible participants may enter the Competition by going to and submitting the information on their project team and the project idea on the registration form, and eventually submit a video of a maximum of three (3) minutes in which they pitch their project idea according to the Video Guidelines, found on this webpage: https://www.esdglobalselfdefense.org/pitch There is a limit of one (1) video per person. The use of an agency or any automated system to enter is strictly prohibited, and ESD Global reserves the right to disqualify any entries received through such methods, as determined by ESD Global, in its sole discretion.
Upon registration for the Round 1 Entry Period, in the month of October 2020, ESD Global will give every Entrant access to professional workshops and individual coaching opportunities throughout the Entry Period.
4. Round 2 Entry Period:
Round 2.1: From October 26, 2020 at 12:00pm EST to November 1, 2020 at 12:00am EST (the “Voting Period”), Entrants will distribute their videos on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter with the hashtags #ESDMovement #ESDGlobal #Pitchcompetition #againstviolence #VPEC2021and voting link provided by ESD Global to enable members of the public to vote for their favorite Entrant video during the Voting Period.
Public voting will account for all of the scores needed to move on to the next round of competition. Individuals will be allowed to vote for one entry, one time and Participants agree to discourage anyone voting multiple times under one name. Entrants may not pay anyone or provide any other type of consideration in exchange for votes. Any Entrants who violate the ban on paying or providing consideration in exchange for votes will be disqualified.
The top 6 (six) Entrants with the most votes will be announced by ESD Global on October 26, 2020 as the Finalists.
Round 2.2: The Finalists will submit Business Canvas Models by November 6, 2020 at 0h00 EST time which can be accompanied by new videos of maximum of three (3) minutes in which they pitch their project idea according to the Video Guidelines. Both of these documents can be found on the following webpage: https://www.esdglobalselfdefense.org/pitch
On November 14, 2020, time to be determined, the Finalists will meet with a live panel of judges, through an online video conference, to answer questions about their project.
The Judges will select three (3) final winners per the judging criteria below. ESD Global reserves the right in its sole discretion to change the date and time of the final event.
A panel of three (3) judges selected by ESD Global (the “Judges”) will evaluate all Business Canvas Models and videos based on the criteria and using the scorecard provided. Finalists will receive the scorecard beforehand so that they know what is expected of them. These documents can be found on the following webpage: https://www.esdglobalselfdefense.org/pitch
5. Entrant’s Warranties and Representations: By submitting a video, you warrant and represent that (a) the Video is an original work created solely by you and/or your project team for entry in the Competition; (b) you own all rights to the Video; (c) to the extent the Video depicts any individual or features the voice of any individual, you are the individual pictured and heard in the submission, or, alternatively, that you have obtained written permission from each person appearing in the Video, and can make written copies of such permissions available to ESD Global upon request; and (d) the Video complies with all requirements of these Official Rules.
6. Prizes: The three (3) final winners (with the highest-scored ranking by the judges) will be invited as Guest Speakers, live or virtual, at the Violence Prevention Education Conference (VPEC) held in Prague, in October 2021. There is no monetary value associated with this Prize.
Any prize details not specified above will be determined by ESD Global in ESD Global's sole discretion. A prize may not be transferred and must be accepted as awarded. A winner may not request cash or a substitute prize; however, ESD Global reserves the right to substitute a prize (or component thereof) with another prize (or component thereof) of equal or greater value if the prize (or component thereof) is not available for any reason, as determined by ESD Global in its sole discretion.
7. General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Competition is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, or any circumstances beyond ESD Global's control, including act of god, war, government regulation, disaster, strikes or civil disorder ESD Global may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Competition to address the impairment and then resume the Competition in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prize according to the Judging Criteria from among the eligible videos received up to the time of the impairment.
ESD Global reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify and seek damages from any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Competition or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, ESD Global reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Failure by ESD Global to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to ESD Global by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication. In the event of a dispute as to any online entry, the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter will be deemed to be the participant. The Competition is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. Your Video must not, as determined by ESD Global in its sole discretion: (i) violate the rights of others, including copyright, trade secret, license, patent, trademark, privacy, publicity or any other right; (ii) contain defamatory statements; (iii) include threats to any person, place, business, or group; (iv) include instructions or activities that could cause harm or injury (v) be obscene or indecent; (vi) depict any risky behavior; (vii) contain any material or content that is libelous or in any way unlawful; or (viii) contain depictions of any individuals who have not granted permission to appear in the Video. In the event ESD Global chooses to display Videos, ESD Global also reserves the right to refuse to post any Video for any reason. ESD Global reserves the right in its sole discretion to supplement or make changes to these Official Rules without notice. ESD Global also reserves the right in its sole discretion to interpret the rules of this contest in any manner, and such interpretation shall be binding on any participant and Video.
8. Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Competition, you agree to release and hold harmless ESD Global, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and officers, directors, employees, contractors and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Competition or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (i) unauthorized human intervention in the Competition; (ii) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone, or network lines; (iii) printing errors; (iv) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (v) errors in the administration of the Competition or the processing of entries; or (vi) injury or damage to persons or property. In no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
10. Disputes: Except where prohibited, you agree that any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Competition or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of ESD Global in connection with the Competition, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Massachusetts or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Massachusetts.
11.Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Competition is ESD Global, Inc. The Competition is not sponsored by Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.